Go to the Wesley Historical Society Home Page



Go to Wesley Historical Society Publications




  

 

 

                                                                  

MOUNT ALBERT METHODIST CHURCH CENTENARY
1866-1966

In the year 1843, the first Auckland Wesleyan Church was built by a few laymen, under the guidance of the missionaries, there being as yet no resident minister. It was a small unpretentious building, but doubtless it was to the worshippers of that early period, a sacred shrine. The number interested in the undertaking was small, the membership being only 13, but it increased so rapidly that in 1846, three years later, it was found necessary to enlarge the building.