Hataitai Methodist Church 1896 - 1972
IT HAPPENED TO HATAITAI METHODISM IN -
1886 (approximately) Church services held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. F.J.W.
Fear, 48 Hamilton Road; transferred later to Kilbirnie Public School.
1896 21 October. Wesleyan Church opened in Moxham Avenue on southern boundary of present Public School. Cost was £39.15.0; materials were donated.
Rev. Josiah Ward appointed the first minister.
A Sunday School of some 48 scholars was handed over by the Baptists.
1898 Rev. A. Lawry appointed.
1900 Rev. W.J. Williams. Evening services were often conducted by a Mission Band from Wesley Church Taranaki Street.
1904 Rev. G. Bond.
1906 Rev. W.J. Williams (2nd Term.)
1907 Rev. E.P. Blamires.
1909 Rev. W.R. Tuck.
1910 Rev. R. Richards.
1912 Rev. Clyde Carr.
The name "Taita" means a piece of wood lodged in the bed of a river, a snag, and is pronounced correctly with the second "a" lengthened, hence Tytar, not Tyta, with
a - short second syllable. This correct pronunciation would account for the pakeha mis-spelling and mis-pronounciation Taitai, still so named by many f the older folk.
After the original Hutt River settlement of Britannia had dispersed, and the people settled at Thorndon (Pipitea Point), Aglionby and Richmond, the task of opening up the hinterland was undertaken in earnest. The road reached as far as Taita in 1843, Stokes Valley in December 1843, Upper Flutt in August 1844, and the Wairarapa in 1847. Native troubles developed in the district, there being a Taita Stockade near Mr. Thomas Mason's original house, and near what was then the southern boundary of Taita, Boulcott's Farm Stockade, where the famous battle took place in 1846. Taita then was merely a clearing in the bush some few miles from Hutt. In 1845 an Anglican church was built there, a church which is still in use to-day.