Go to the Wesley Historical Society Home Page



Go to Wesley Historical Society Publications




  

 

 

                                                                  

Ballance was settled originally largely by families from Masterton and the Wairarapa. As in all early settlements, a school and education for the children, and a place to worship and express their faith for all, were the first and main essentials.

The Ballance settlement, eight miles distant from Pahiatua and from Woodville, was still in its primitive state when the first Service of Worship was held there. It was held in July, 1890, in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Sinclair. The same house is still the Sinclair family home. The Service was the first public gathering of the pioneer settlers.