Mr William Hay built the Church in 1910 at Kaimamaku. It was orginally dedicated as a Presbyterian Church in 1914 but had by 1950 like so many country churches, fallen into disuse.
So after an 8 kilometre journey, the church was relocated on a new site at Whakapara. John Edwards, now of Onerahi, recalls that instead of taking the roof off, one man perched way up on high, using a forked stick to lift overhanging wires out of the way.
In 1983, the church moved on again, this time to Helena Bay, and even gained a new stained glass window. But sadly, by 1999 it again fell into disuse as people moved from the area.
And so in 2004 came this final move. In one year gallons of paint, simply metres and metres of timber and many other building materials were used over countless hours of hard work by volunteers and professionals. Linoleum, carpet and new chairs were the final touches in transforming a sad-looking building into a beautiful church once more.
Sunday 8th May 2005 was a very special day for the Tutukaka Coast Church community. Margo Irvine was ordained deacon by Bishop John Patterson and the very first service was held in the the restored church. A great start for the church's new pages of history, now in Ngunguru. Thanks be to God.
(Notes taken from story by Jill Connop and Margaret Selby)