"to be a caring community within our community in the name of Jesus"
History of Our Parish
Our Parish came into being through the amalgamation of the former Methodist and Presbyterian Churches.
A Covenant of Co-operation between St. Peters Methodist and St. Paul's Presbyterian Churches was entered into on 8 July 1969, and our Union Parish was formally instituted on 1 February 1971.
The congregation worshipped first in the former Presbyterian Church in Wairau Road, and later in the former Methodist Church in Auckland Street.
Early in 1987 it came to the notice of Parish Council that the Shell Oil Company would be interested in acquiring the Methodist site if and when it became available, as it would be a prime site for them with access from both High and Auckland Streets.
Our present site, which was the Station Master's residence, became available and was purchased. Some demolition took place and the shell of the house was relocated to another part of the town.
Work began on this building on 2 February 1988 and the Foundation Stone was laid on the 14th of the same month.
Other Foundation Stones were incorporated into the base of the new building, one from St. Paul's Presbyterian Church dated 1891, and the other from St. Peters Methodist Church dated 1910. The Foundation Stone from St. Paul's Sunday School is in the retaining wall of the drive and is dated 1938.
Our Complex was opened and dedicated free of debt by the President of the MCNZ, Rev. Buddy Te Whare, and the Assembly Executive Secretary of the PCANZ, Rev. Michael Thawley, on Saturday 11 June 1988. Rev John Hamlin was our minister at the time.
In 2010 we entered into a Regional Shared Ministry Agreement with the Blenheim Methodist Parish and together appointed Rev Ian Boddy. This lasted for five years.