FIND A CHURCH

The Methodist Connexional Office is located at:

Weteriana House
50 Langdons Road
Papanui
Christchurch 8053

Postal address
:

PO Box 931, Christchurch 8140

P. (03) 366 6049   I   0800 266 639

Please phone our main line (as above) and at the prompt either dial '0' to speak to Reception or enter an extension number. FOR A LIST OF EXTENSIONS CLICK HERE

Email the Webmaster
Email the Connexional Office

Go to the Wesley Historical Society Home Page

Journal 2012 - Wesley Historical Society





                                      

Contents

5 Editorial

7 'MORE THAN JUST AN HOUR ON SUNDAY'
Methodist Church Architecture in Aotearoa
1960-2000 - a personal perspective. by Eric Laurenson

23 A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE WAIATA MAORI CHOIR, 1924-1938
by Michelle Willyams

31 MORE HEROES OF THE FAITH
Minarapa Te Rangi-hatu-ake and Te Aro Pa, 1839-1841
by Gary Clover

BOOK REVIEWS
53 - SCRIM - the man with a mike. Author: William Renwick
Reviewer: Barry Jones
57 - A New Church for a New Century:
East City Wesleyan's Early Story Author: Richard Waugh
Reviewer: Stuart Lange
59 - For Others With Love
A Story of Early Sisters and Methodist Deaconesses
Author: Marcia Baker Reviewer: Jill Richards

Editorial

During 2012 The Methodist Church of New Zealand celebrated the centenary of the union of the Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists which was signed at Wesley Methodist Church, Taranaki Street, Wellington on February 6th 1913 witnessed by the Governor General Lord Liverpool and the Prime Minister William Massey.

Methodist historians served the Church well in keeping alive the story and its interpretation. Norman Brookes wrote a leading article for the October issue of Touchstone. Gray Clover prepared a thirty two page booklet which was distributed to all members of Conference entitled The Road to Methodist Union in 1913. Donald Phillipps addressed the annual meeting of the Wesley Historical Society with his impressions of the union between the Wesleyan and Primitive traditions. The Society hopes to publish Donald's paper in some form in the future.

We note that a significant conference was held at the end of November 2012 in preparation for the bicentenary of Samuel Marsden's preaching the first Christian sermon in this land on Christmas Day 2014. "Iwi - Christianity - Tauiwi", Re-evaluating Christianity's Influence in Shaping Aotearoa New Zealand, will promote the on-going exploration of missionary beginnings and impact on the wider society.

The 2012 Journal features an article by Eric Laurenson who has been a pioneer in re-shaping church architecture. His comment on the octagonal shape of some of the churches that he has designed reminds us of John Wesley's preference for the octagonal shape in the construction of his chapels, (see Leslie F. Church The Early Methodist People, Epworth Press, 1949, p. 71) Ormond Burton observed of Percy Paris placing a cross in Wesley Methodist Church, Taranaki Street, "Once that cross was placed in Wesley, it was quite certain that the whole architecture of Methodist churches throughout the country would begin to change." (see Percy Paris by Ormond Burton, published by The Friends of Percy Paris, 1963 p. 32)

We are also happy to publish Michelle Willyams' study of the Waiata Maori Choir and to continue Gary Clover's study of prominent Maori evangelists who deserve to be better known. Both contribute toward our understanding of Methodism among Maori. Book reviews follow the articles as usual.

Terry Wall