New Zealand Methodist Church OnLine History
 Go to Index

 

 

                                         

"FROM QUIET HOMES AND
FIRST BEGINNING"*
1879-1979

A History of the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches
in Upper Hutt who, in 1976, joined together to form
the Upper Hutt Co-operating Parish.

The Upper Hutt Co-operating Parish includes the three Presbyterian parishes of Iona, St David's and St Andrew's together with the Upper Hutt Methodist Circuit. It extends to the top of the Rimutaka Range down through Kaitoke, Akatarawa, Te Mania, the Mangaroa and Wallaceville Valleys and the Upper Hutt Valley to the northern boundary of St Margaret's Presbyterian Parish of Silverstream. So far as its Methodist members are concerned, the Co-operating Parish includes Silverstream, Pinehaven and Whitemans Valley.
In June 1979 the parish had 1,000 homes under pastoral care, 561 communicant members, three main worship and Christian education centres, 260 Sunday School pupils with 30 teachers, 94 Bible Class members with 12 leaders, 200 members of the Girls' and Boys' Brigades with 27 leaders, as well as a Friday evening club attended by some 150 young people for most of whom this is their only connection with the church. There are five groups that cater specifically for the women of the parish and a variety of study groups for adults are held from time to time. The parish has a team of four ministers and works through a Parish Council with its Executive, Pastoral, Christian Education, Life and Work and Property and Finance Committees. At each of the three main centres there is a Domestic Affairs Committee.