New Zealand Methodist Church OnLine History
 Go to Index

 

                    

Otahuhu Methodist Church 100th 1854-1954

This is not a story of spectacular events, rather, it is an account of earnest endeavour, faithful following and whole-hearted service.

Otahuhu Circuit has its roots deeply in the past, Christian service began here as part of the activities of the Manukau Circuit. The whole history is closely interwoven with this parent Church. We honour the memory of those leaders from whence we sprang.

Wesleyan Missionaries worked among the Maori people from early days. The first Maori Mission Station situated on .the South-western Shores of the Manukau Harbour was founded not later than 1843. A little later the Christian natives founded the settlement of Ihumatao on the north-eastern corner of the Manukau Harbour in the district of Mangere. In 1844 Ihumatao, with other preaching places on the Manukau were connected with the Auckland Circuit and placed under the care of the European Missionary Rev. H. H. Lawry.