Go to the Wesley Historical Society Home Page



Go to Wesley Historical Society Publications




  

 

 

                                                               

ARAMOHO METHODIST CHURCH

MAY 1977 - NOV 1985

100 + 8 Years

What a wonderful celebration was held in May, 1977, to mark 100 years of Methodist witness in Aramoho. The guest speaker at the 10 a.m. service, was Rev Harold K. Brown, ex minister of the church, soloists, Mrs Valarie Mays, Mr William Gregg, Bible readings taken by Dr. Ted Bassett, the service conducted by Rev Wilf Ford, organ played by Mr Jack Whitlock. The church was filled to capacity.


EARLY TAITA

The name "Taita" means a piece of wood lodged in the bed of a river, a snag, and is pronounced correctly with the second "a" lengthened, hence Tytar, not Tyta, with
a - short second syllable. This correct pronunciation would account for the pakeha mis-spelling and mis-pronounciation Taitai, still so named by many f the older folk.

After the original Hutt River settlement of Britannia had dispersed, and the people settled at Thorndon (Pipitea Point), Aglionby and Richmond, the task of opening up the hinterland was undertaken in earnest. The road reached as far as Taita in 1843, Stokes Valley in December 1843, Upper Flutt in August 1844, and the Wairarapa in 1847. Native troubles developed in the district, there being a Taita Stockade near Mr. Thomas Mason's original house, and near what was then the southern boundary of Taita, Boulcott's Farm Stockade, where the famous battle took place in 1846. Taita then was merely a clearing in the bush some few miles from Hutt. In 1845 an Anglican church was built there, a church which is still in use to-day.