IS YOURS A READY CHURCH?
Are you ready to respond?
The shooting events of March 15 in Christchurch have left us with heavy hearts. The breadth and number of events that we are having to respond to increases. In addition to the fatal March shootings, in the last 12 months we have had:
• theft from our op shops
• health epidemics (Measles! and flu etc)
• our admin and other lone workers being accosted
• injuries from ladder-falls
• power cuts
• weather events (flooding, tornados, snow)
• gas explosions (thanks Christchurch)
• need we continue?
Stuff happens and it is unpredictable as to when and where it will happen.
Within the the Methodist Church of New Zealand there have been some truly outstanding responses to adverse events, and also some episodes where things could have been done differently to achieve better outcomes.
• We need to learn what to do when incidents occur
• We respond better to events we have practiced for
• We should share events and responses throughout the Connexion
• Information is contained in isolated pockets, making seamless processes difficult to stitch together
• We have different levels of knowledge or abilities to respond.
When we are unprepared for events we can feel overwhelmed, we can even be left feeling like someone has ripped our world apart. We need to challenge silence, inaction, and acceptance of the status quo.
Please consider this for yourself and then discuss among your congregation, your parish, your committee(s), and your synod as we consider making the Methodist Church Ready:
• Describe what a Ready Church might look like for you
• Commit to getting ready, practicing readiness and reviewing your readiness
• Consider the alternates to not being Ready
• Determine what you might need from the Connexion.
Please provide feedback of your discussions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the online/feedback forms below. Thank you.